Sunday, February 20, 2011

14 Weeks... Happy Birthday to Me!

Today is my 25th birthday and I am celebrating by blogging about my new little one to be! Addi, wonderful daughter she is, is sleeping in for Mommy. Ahh. My family is here so Eric and I enjoyed a wonderful night out last night, just the 3 of us! Wonderful time and food was had by all. As a gift from my parents, I did a little maternity shopping for the spring/summer (dresses) and our babymoon! Who can resist a buy one get one free sale?! Not this Mommy. Addi is spoiled with attention from my family so Eric and I got to spend time thinking about our new little guy or girl and our life as a family of four. 25 is looking like the best year yet...

From my belly: Baby can now squint, frown, grimace, pee, and possibly suck its thumb! Thanks to brain impulses, facial muscles are getting a workout as tiny features form one expression after another. Kidneys are producing urine, which releases into the amniotic fluid around him — a process baby will keep up until birth. Baby can grasp, too, and if I am having an ultrasound now, I may even catch him or her sucking their thumb. Baby is stretching out. From head to bottom, he measures 3 1/2 inches — about the size of a lemon — and weighs 1 1/2 ounces. His or her body's growing faster than their head, which now sits upon a more distinct neck. By the end of this week, arms will have grown to a length that's in proportion to the rest of the body. (Legs still have some lengthening to do.) Baby's starting to develop an ultra-fine, downy covering of hair, called lanugo, all over its body. Baby's liver starts making bile this week — a sign that it's doing its job right — and the spleen starts helping in the production of red blood cells. I can't feel tiny punches and kicks yet, but our little pugilist's hands and feet (which now measure about 1/2 inch long) are more flexible and active.

No comments:

Post a Comment