Monday, February 7, 2011

12 Week Ultrasound

Today was our integrated screening at the hospital and it was completely deja vu! It was at the maternal fetal medicine unit which was where we did the testing before as well as the all of the check ups during the high risk part of the last pregnancy. I got to see a wonderful midwife I hadn't seen since Addi and it made me feel comfortable being back. Those certain people stick out to you because of their kindness and reassurance during those difficult times. I remember this midwife was the last one I saw when I was no longer considered high risk. A wonderful day. She wished us the best and I remember seeing her briefly when I came back to deliver. Another wonderful day.

Okay, back to Baby #2! We met with the genetic counselor who went over what they were testing for (Downs Syndrome, Trisomy 18, Open neural tube defects). They would give us any information that day if they saw anything on the ultrasound, I would get blood work and then come back for a second blood test. All was well! They even looked at my cervix which looked long and great! It was wonderful to see Baby Clark looking like a real baby! He or she was waving like Addi did and had its little feet crossed- just like she did too. Super cute. It was all over quickly with no concerns, we are old pros. All I needed to hear was that this precious baby was looking good and its good enough for me. I find myself worrying much less with this pregnancy. Maybe I did learn something last time? Worrying won't change anything. If something goes wrong we will deal with it one day at a time. As a family, we are strong enough to deal with it. You don't know how you will but you just do. Yes, I do think I learned something.

No comments:

Post a Comment