Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Pregnancy Week 22

I don't think I have been able to do this blog on time for a while now! Busy, busy! Eric and I had lots of fun with his family in Vermont last weekend and got back last night. There was lots of snow and hot chocolate, my favorite. Just like with my family, I get excited to see all of them with Addie. No new updates pregnancy wise, just growing all the time and lots of kicks which I love. Sometimes I get uncomfortable but no stretch marks so far! I only get one fruit a month now even though Addison is growing so much! I read before that she could hear things but didn't think too much about it until we had a mishap with our television. Last night the cable went out and it made a horrible noise for about 15 seconds. Addie went bananas! She was flipping and kicking for 15 minutes after and I would like to think my talking and rubbing my belly soothed her.

From my belly: Our baby's length is approximately 10.5 inches and weighs about 12.25 ounces (about the size of a papaya) now! Our baby's body continues to grow and develop every day. The organ systems in her body are becoming specialized for their particular functions. The fetal liver produces different enzymes than it will produce after delivery. The liver is responsible for breaking down billirubin, which is produced by the breaking down of blood cells. Because the life span of a fetal red blood cell is shorter than that of an adult, a fetus produces more billirubin than adults do. Billirubin passes from fetal blood to the placenta and then into your blood. Our baby's senses are developing daily. The fetus now has a full complement of neurons in the brain and is learning about her body and surroundings through touch. Touch is one of the first senses to mature and she baby may stroke her face or feel her arms and legs. The ovaries contain primitive egg cells, all of the eggs a woman will have for her entire life. The uterus of female fetuses is also fully formed.

Addie is obviously bigger than above, our little chubby baby is growing even better than the average baby! Eric didn't believe how strong she was getting until he felt a very hard kick while we were in Vermont. He has been even more excited ever since. I think it made it more real for him. I love when he holds the two of us, It feels like we are a little family already. January is the last month in my second trimester so I am going to enjoy all of my energy and mobility. I have been so blessed to have a great pregnancy and healthy baby. Even if I didn't, I hear its all worth it!

1 comment:

  1. As I read your blog today, I began to wonder what it would be like if God wrote a blog about my spiritual development. Would He write with such love and wonder as you write about your child?

    Keep up the good work. I look forward to catching up on the latest from Addie each week.

    Love,
    Aunt Connie

    ReplyDelete