Thursday, January 14, 2010

Pregnancy Week 23.5

Where to start? Maybe with the good news... I am STILL pregnant, Addi is good and I feel good. The not so good news is more complicated. For a few days I have had some (what feels like) muscle pain in my lower abdomen. It felt like all the growing and stretching my doctor warned me about but it continued to get worse. I went to my doctor yesterday to be checked because the same pain can be caused by other issues. Including cervical issues. My doctor examined me and everything was fine, she decided it could be the stretching or could be the cervix sent me to get an ultrasound as soon as possible. I went in today expecting the best as I always try to do. I went to the ultrasound and they said my cervix is a 2.82 and should be 3 centimeters. This really wasn't a concern but when they put pressure on my cervix is thinned even more. Therefore, Addi and being up and around could continue to put pressure on it,

The cervix is the barrier between the lady bits and the uterus (baby home) and it should be long and hard until delivery when it thins, dilates and opens for the baby to be delivered. For now is should be the protection. With these concerns the doctor sent me to South Shore Hospital where I plan to deliver. When I got here they checked me and saw that I have had very small contractions. This in itself is normal and all women have them but they could thin my cervix further. The doctor here decided to put me on medicine to stop all the little contractions and they are also giving me steroids to pump Addi's lungs up for the worst case scenario, delivering early.

So where does that leave us? Addi and I are hooked up to a bunch of monitors in the fetal and maternal medicine wing (ie-delivery) and Eric reading in the corner. He brought dinner, a change of clothes and lots of love back from our dog Baby Roo. Nothing has changed too much and at the very least I will be in the hospital for 24 hours. It could be longer. As for the rest of my pregnancy, its looking like bed rest for at least the next 10 weeks. Ugh. How do I feel? Physically I feel just fine. Tired but fine, it is strange to me to think that this morning I was at work doing next week's scheduling. Emotionally, I am exhausted but determined. I thought I would fall apart but I haven't. I can't. I have to do this for Addi, she is the only thing I care about right now and I will do whatever it takes to keep her where she is supposed to be.

I am thankful for the little things, like when I hear her heartbeat and when I can get up to go to the bathroom (this had to be okay-ed by my doctor). My supervisor (to be honest, 100% more of a friend than a "boss") has been so supportive along with our families. We are very loved and well taken care of. The hospital staff is wonderful and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. You do what you have to do. God has given me peace about my pregnancy so far and it hasn't gone away. Addi is a good and perfect gift, she has a hope and a purpose. More to this story to come. For now, love to you all and thank you for the prayers!

"When peace like a river attendeth my way. When sorrows like sea billows roll. Whatever my lot, Thou had taught me to say 'It is well, it is well with my soul'"... It Is Well (Right, Uncle Bob?)

1 comment: