Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Pregnancy Week 21


It's a girl! The big news of the Christmas week. We had so much fun telling our parents our big news. We told my parents at our annual Christmas party at my grandparent's house. We had ornaments made for both sides of our family and planned to have them opened the same night. This plan worked out for my parents and we shocked them in front of my Dad's entire family. Our plans went a little awry in Vermont since our package didn't arrive until after the post office was closed but thankfully, Eric's brother Adam stepped in to save the day. Picking up sugar, spice and some flowers, Eric's Mom found out Baby Clark would be a girl with everything that little girls are made of. Both families were equally surprised and it was a very special night.

From my belly: Addison is about 10 1/2 inches long, no longer measured from head to bum but head to toe. She gulps down several ounces of amniotic fluid every day, both for hydration and nutrition and to practice swallowing and digesting. And, these days, those taste buds actually work! Studies show that after birth, babies are most interested in tastes they've already experienced through amniotic fluid. Meaning, think about what you want your future child to eat as you prepare your own lunch.

This could be a problem considering we are right in the middle of the holidays. All I know is that my belly sticks out of the water when I take a bath, this is new. This week Eric and I also started our registries. I have to say this is one of the more stressful things about pregnancy. It made me feel like I know nothing about being a parent, could one baby really need all that stuff? I need to do my homework on things like safety ratings and breast pumps. Not as easy as it looks. I thought this would be fun, like shopping, picking out what is cute and what appeals to you. I was sadly mistaken. Oh well, we have time!
Not too much time though! Life got a little more real this week finding out we are having a little girl and moving closer to my due date. It makes me think about what life is going to be like and I am so excited. Sadly, my Great Aunt Alice passed away this week. This has also made me think about my little girl and what kind of life she will have. I hope she is like Aunt Alice, warm, kind, loving, Godly, funny and sweet. I also hope Addie has my favorite trait of Aunt Alice's- gumption. My favorite memory of Aunt Alice is when she got very animated while telling me that she had been the one to ask my Uncle Kenny on a date, unheard of in the 50's! I hope Addison also loves God enough to know and follow His will in that kind of way. I am beginning to have dreams and thoughts of my little girl, what our family will be like and who she will become. I can't wait to meet her and get to know her, we already have such a beautiful bond that only Moms know. No registry confusion can shake that, 2010 will be our year.

No comments:

Post a Comment