I am going to mix it up a bit and start with the weekly email update I receive about Stella's progress and growth...
From my belly: Stella doesn't have much room to maneuver now that she's over 18 inches long and tips the scales at 5 1/4 pounds (pick up a honeydew melon). Because it's so snug in my womb, she isn't likely to be doing somersaults anymore, but the number of times she kicks should remain about the same. Her kidneys are fully developed now, and her liver can process some waste products. Most of her basic physical development is now complete — she'll spend the next few weeks putting on weight
That being said- Stella seems to be quite a bit bigger (of course, I have big babies)! Eric and I went to our appointment yesterday morning while my mother and sister in law watched Addi, they are visiting this weekend for my sister in law's college orientation. I met with a different doctor because my doctor was booked and I haven't seen her since I was in the hospital on bed rest. She is one of the doctors who delivers as well. Anyhow, the night before I left I got to chat with one of my close girlfriends who had seen the same doctor and she had accurately predicted her babies (twins) weight and encouraged me to ask too. While we were going through the normal check the heartbeat/measure the belly routine I asked how big she thought Stella was. She didn't give me a weight but she did let me know that I was measuring 37 weeks instead of 35! Oy! Compared to a 35 week baby, a 37 weeker is 6-6.5 pounds and the size of a watermelon.
Now, if anyone is wondering if I am measuring this way because I am getting super fat its just not true! I know I said earlier that I wasn't keeping track of my weight but in the past couple of weeks I got curious and took a peek at the scale. I am doing really well and gaining less weight than with Addi! I haven't gained in the past few weeks and actually lost half a pound this week. This was not intentional and really incomprehensible with the amount of ice cream I have had lately. Okay, back to the appointment. Since I have been so uncomfortable, crampy and contract-y lately she checked my cervix and it is still closed.
No surprise there. I didn't start to dilate until 36 weeks last time so I am trying not to be too discouraged. I am exhausted and uncomfortable to the 37 week level!!! Stella is super low, big, and I can feel my body getting ready. I am hoping to follow the same track as I did with Addi- dilate from 36-37 weeks and deliver at 37. But every baby is different. I tried to ask this other doctor about induction if I were to dilate silently like before but I don't think I asked it correctly because she said they wouldn't induce until 39 weeks. Clearly not the case as I was induced at 37 with Addi. I am concerned about dilating significantly without being able to deliver because it leaves room for the Strep B to get to Stella and it can cross the placenta. This is my #1 concern, way beyond any discomfort.
I think I try to rush the end of this pregnancy and getting Stella OUT because I want to know that I can get the doses of antibiotics I need to have a healthy baby! That is what I originally discussed with my doctor- if my cervix started to change and dilate we would induce because of her concern that I would go too fast and not get my antibiotics. As I said, I clearly didn't explain my concerns well enough and will have to think about it before my next appointment on Thursday. We will see! I Am still just as excited to meet my precious girl for the first time and kiss her little face and toes. Eric keeps encouraging me with "She will be healthy and I will deliver her and put her on your belly!" I didn't get to hold Addi right away because she had to be evaluated by the NICU team so I am really hoping to experience that this time. Oh Stella Bella, how Mommy loves you. Xoxo
No comments:
Post a Comment