Saturday, July 9, 2011

34 Weeks

Things seemed to calm down for a little while after I was in the hospital over the weekend until Tuesday. I can now email my doc's office so I sent a quick one to the nurse about the rib pain I'd been having. She called me with her concerns and I mentioned that I was pretty crampy and just overall uncomfortable. She sent me to the hospital for monitoring. Eric and I dropped Addi off with friends and got going. Of course, the second I got on the monitor I started contracting regularly. However, they checked me and the contractions weren't doing anything so they sent me home. The doc said that since I am steroid complete and my FFN was negative they weren't too concerned about me or Stella.

(On a side note I had also emailed the nurse about another *gross* symptom. I woke up that morning feeling large and engorged in a certain area! Ouch. Then I realized I leaked through my shirt. This did NOT happen when I was pregnant with Addi and freaked me out, as has my out-turned bellybutton. They told me leaking was normal and more common the second time around because the body remember being pregnant and getting ready for baby to come. Ew.)

Yesterday, I had a follow-up appointment which consisted of listening to Stella's heartbeat and the doctor speculating that she was big for 34 weeks. I get it. Uneventful to say the least compared to the past week. On a positive note, I didn't gain any weight this week- woohoo!

From my belly: Our baby girl now weighs about 4 3/4 pounds (like your average cantaloupe) and is almost 18 inches long. Her fat layers — which will help regulate her body temperature once she's born — are filling her out, making her rounder. Her skin is also smoother than ever. Her central nervous system is maturing and her lungs are continuing to mature as well. If you've been nervous about preterm labor, you'll be happy to know that babies born between 34 and 37 weeks who have no other health problems generally do fine. They may need a short stay in the neonatal nursery and may have a few short-term health issues, but in the long run, they usually do as well as full-term babies.

This is exactly why the doctor said "You can now do whatever you want"! They wouldn't stop my labor if it started because Stella is safe. We are in the home stretch! I can't believe I had Addi at 37 weeks. That isn't far at all. I will soon be packing my hospital bag- I already bought Stella's "coming home" outfit and some nice pjs for myself as well (including slippers)! I am getting excited. I feel my body getting ready (and big) for her to come, our home is ready, our family and friends are so excited and now we are just waiting. I had a wonderful labor and although it was difficult and painful I am ready for the moment when I get to see my precious girl for the first time.

Our families are on call whenever this little one makes her intentions known or my induction is scheduled (or just happens like last time). I am excited to have everyone around this time! It will just be Eric and I in the delivery room again. However, if I am induced my family might be able to pop in here and there to keep me company. Then Eric can finish work or spend time at home and with Addi. Only when there is nothing important going on of course, Eric promised not to miss the big show! Anyhow, we called my parents when Addi was born and they met Addi for the first time at Panera Bread a week later. This was our joint decision because we wanted them around to help when we got home from the hospital which was great. It was perfect but this time I want to try the whole "family at the hospital" thing.  Eric's Mom and sister visited us in the hospital for a few hours. This time, everyone is coming when Stella is first born- my parents are watching Addi while we are in the hospital and helping us come home. We are already parents and know what to expect (for the most part) and I am excited to have more visitors. Eric's Mom is visiting us in the hospital and then coming back to help later on. Lots of blessings!

I am still worried about Stella Bella being sick. Or having health issues from being premature. Or both. But I am trying to focus on the birth experience. When Eric cheers me on and delivers her. (I can't say enough how amazing he is in the delivery room- I have never felt more in love or connected to him than those hours together). The excitement and adrenaline. The relief after. The "superwoman" feeling. Beautiful. Can not wait.

1 comment:

  1. Ashley I am SO excited for you and to see your little girl. I'm also excited that we are going through this together again (well at least being pregnant at the same time!) It is so amazing! I will be praying for you all and especially for Stella that she will arrive safe and healthy with no complications! Love you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete