Saturday, May 28, 2011

28 Weeks!

What a way to kick off my 7th month of pregnancy! Addi slept in over an hour and a half and Eric and I woke up before her which is always nice. She woke up taking and walking, such a happy girl! Addi and Daddy have taken to having a breakfast date on Saturday morning and since I was feeling so rested I have been up, enjoying this beautiful morning. I can't wait for them to get back and start our three day Memorial Day weekend!

I can't believe I have made it 4 1/2 weeks longer without bed rest than I did when I was pregnant with Addi! What a relief. I am feeling great and loving the fact that I can stay active. Stella has crept her way up into my ribs and some evenings I resort to waddling but I couldn't be happier. I might be a little slow these days but I love spending time off the couch and outside! I try to remind myself of where I was at this gestation last time and take advantage as much as possible. I remember all the hours I spent day dreaming about all the things I couldn't do and then go do them! Like going for walks, eating lunch outside with Addi, running errands, even cooking and cleaning! When I am tired or not feeling up to it I force myself anyway. Don't get me wrong, I do take an afternoon nap most days while Addi naps but I make everything else a priority!

From my belly: By this week, your baby weighs two and a quarter pounds (like a Chinese cabbage) and measures 14.8 inches from the top of her head to her heels. She can blink her eyes, which now sport lashes. With her eyesight developing, she may be able to see the light that filters in through your womb. She's also developing billions of neurons in her brain and adding more body fat in preparation for life in the outside world

If you are at risk for preterm labor, 28 weeks is a big milestone. This is the info I put about babies born early last time... What about babies born at 28 to 31 weeks gestation?


These babies look quite similar to babies born earlier, although they are larger (usually between 2 and 4 pounds) and even more likely to survive, about 96 percent. Many require treatment with oxygen, surfactant and assistance to help them breathe. Some of these babies can be fed breast milk or formula through a tube placed through their nose or mouth into the stomach, although others need to be fed intravenously. Some of these babies can cry. They can move, although their movements may be jerky. A baby born at this time can grasp a person’s finger. These babies can open their eyes, and they begin to stay awake and alert for short period. Babies born at 28 to 31 weeks are at risk for the same complications as babies born before 28 weeks. When complications occur, however, they may not be as severe as in babies born earlier. Babies born with very low birth weight (less than 3 pounds, 4 ounces) remain at risk for serious disabilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment