Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Delivering a Miracle

On my last post... did I really say "bring it on" and request more action? What was I thinking?! Oh my body brought it alright! It was a little while before the doctor came in to break my water (when I got to 7 centimeters) but when he did I started feeling the contractions immediately and requested my epidural. I was nervous about the epidural but it was really nothing at all and I felt great afterwards. The only problem was that there was merconium in my water, meaning Addi had pooped inside me. This is a risky situation because she could swallow it and it could infect her lungs. They let me know that the NICU team would need to be in the room to evaluate her when I delivered. This made Eric and I very nervous but Dr. Champion reassured us that as long as Addi stayed active on the monitor during the delivery then Eric could still deliver her and she would be able to stay with us later.


My contractions were coming every minute and all I could feel was slight pressure. It took another three hours to get fully dilated (normal- about 1 centimeter per hour) and I could begin pushing. At that point I was feeling a lot more pressure and the contractions were still coming every minute. The doctor said Addi hadn't come down much so I would be pushing for a long time, 2 hours or more. However, because my contractions were every minute and not every few minutes Addi and I weren't getting a break so I could only push on every other contraction. This was counter intuitive to me and it was very hard not to push since it relieved the pressure. I pushed on my back and on my sides but things just weren't working (even though I was a stellar pusher). At the end of two hours I was hysterical. At one point I was crying and told Eric to "shut up!" At the end of the two hours Dr. Champion came in to let me know that Addi was in the wrong position (facing my hip instead of facing down) and they were going to give me medication to make me comfortable. They wanted me to lay on my side(s) for a few hours to see if she would move and come down. If not, it was a C-section for us. I got a boost on my epidural and another shot of a drug that made my lower half warm and numb. It was heaven. I laid on my side and dozed, by that time it was around 11:00pm.
We waited another two hours until the medication started to wear off and she was finally in the right position so I could start pushing again. I was hysterical again. I was not in pain but the pressure was something I was not prepared for at all. I tried my best to focus and keep pushing. At some point (2:45am) I felt something warm and much less pressure. They had to break my focus to tell me Addi had been born! 8 Pounds and 2 ounces, 21 inches long (with her little cone head)! Eric had delivered her once her head and shoulders were out and cut her cord. By the time I realized she was here she was being evaluated by the NICU team. I begged them to tell me that she was okay and let me see her. They did and she was so beautiful! I couldn't believe she was there and mine! I had to finish the delivery and get a few stitches so it was a little while before I got to hold and kiss her but it was worth the wait! At almost 4:00am we were both exhausted when they put her on my chest. We both fell asleep while we waited for my medication to wear off and get to our maternity room. It was amazing to feel her breathe and wake up every few minutes and see that she was real!

Now. as I sit with her two days later it still amazes me (I am typing over her, precious thing). I can't believe this beautiful girl is mine forever. I am in love. Eric and I are about to take her home in a few hours and start our new life as a family of three. Our journey is complete. Addi is beautiful and safe. She has a head of long dark hair, feeds like a champ. I miss her when she is in the nursery. I can't stop staring at her. She is a mix of Eric and I and I have never felt so blessed. Thank you to all of you who prayed us to and through this amazing point in our lives. We know you all will be very special people in Addi's life, as you have been in ours. We love you.

1 comment:

  1. YAY!!! WOOHOO!!! I've been checking your blog waiting to see pictures and hear that Addi is here! Oh, she's beautiful! CONGRATS!!! ~Gina

    ReplyDelete