Thursday, May 20, 2010

First month...

After careful consideration, I have decided to keep blogging. I had planned to finish when Addi was born but when I turned her story into a book, I realized just how important it was to me! I had so many wonderful memories and details written down about my pregnancy that never wanted to forget and will be able to share with Addi. Also, I feel like so much has happened in the past month and she has grown so much that I don't want to forget anything! I don't know how often I will write but I am going to try and keep as much info as I can.

Is my baby really a month old? It feels like yesterday and then it feels like an eternity. Having Addi in the hospital for 12 days was what felt like an eternity! At 8 days old, I was feeding Addi early in the morning and noticed she had a fever of 100.6. We called the doctor and he sent us to Children's Hospital immediately. Even then we didn't think too much of it but they did lots of tests and found out she had Strep B. I was tested for this during my pregnancy and tested negative but somehow Addi contracted it. She was started on antibiotics right away and she was cleared of the infection in 48 hours.

After that, she needed 10 more days of IV antibiotics. She spent the first week at Children's and then was transferred to South Shore where she was born. We could have lost Addi and were blessed she didn't become much sicker. Another blessing was that we switched to formula. I was breast feeding her during the first week but since she lost a lot of weight we decided to switch to formula. The stress of it all and concern she wasn't getting enough nutrition made the decision to switch a little easier but I was sad I wasn't able to nurse. We had no idea she was sick but if she continued to not get the nutrition she needed she could have been much sicker. In the hospital it was 12 days of antibiotics every 6 hours, vital sign checks and 7 IV lines.

Addi was an amazing little trooper but I fell apart. Being post partum plus all of the stress of having our baby in the hospital had me crying on the bathroom floor of the hospital most of the early days. Eric was my rock, so strong through the entire time- even offering to take the "night shifts" at the hospital the last few days. Those dark days we felt the prayers of our family, friends and church family. There were a few "good" memories we have from then. Eric and I would take Addi for walks outside in the garden to enjoy the beautiful weather and watch movies as a family crowded into the hospital bed. My Dad came up for a few days as well to support us and make the daily trips to the hospital. Not the same as being home but we tried to make the best of it. We can't thank everyone enough for the love, prayers and support!

Now, we are more thankful to have Addi home and well than we ever coule have been before. I can't believe how much she has grown and changed. Today I had to put away all of her newborn clothes because she has grown out of them! She is beautiful and I didn't know I could love anyone so much! She makes me smile and laugh every day. Some days she cries (and screams) and it makes me sad or frustrated but then she does something adorable like falling asleep on my chest and I can't wait to wake up and do it all again the next day. I love watching Eric with her, he is a natural. I love going out as a family, taking a walk or bringing Addi somewhere new. We love to Skype with family and show her off! She is still getting to meet her family and I can't wait for her to meet her Uncles and extended family! It is amazing to see her being loved by so many people! We are very blessed.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I've been hoping to hear more about how life has been with Addi! So glad you decided to continue posting! Can't wait to see more pictures of your adorable daughter! ~Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I can't believe I'm reading this - it seems like yesterday we were on facebook and you told me you were pregnant. Now she is home with you and the most ADORABLE little girl ever, and I'm 9 weeks away from having my own little guy :) I'm SO happy for you guys, I love reading about everything that's happening and seeing all the photos.

    ReplyDelete