Saturday, April 24, 2010

Surprise!

I am having a baby, for real this time! Where to start? Last night I still wasn't feeling too good and thought that my water may have broken. I called my doctor and they asked me to come into the hospital, again. Eric and I took out time getting ready and made plans for a brunch date after. We got to the hospital and saw the same doctor who had sent me home on Wednesday, Dr. Champion. They checked me and let me know my water was unbroken but that I was now about 5-6 centimeters dilated. When he saw this he laughed, No wonder I have been so uncomfortable! He said he didn't want to risk sending me home so he would keep me and "augment" my labor if need be, giving me pitocin to speed up my labor and breaking my water. I made him promise that I would have my baby and not go home without her! We went to have breakfast in the cafeteria and to call our families, thankfully they all believed us. We cancelled our other plans for the day, made arrangements for Baby Roo and Eric ran home to get our things. We didn't bring them because we definitely didn't think we would be staying!

I guess it is a busy day in the birthing unit because its been more than 7 hours since we got here and just got to our birthing room. There were 5 deliveries in 10 minutes and the maternity unit is full! Lots of babies today. The doctor just saw us and ordered my pitocin. More waiting. If needed, he'll break my water after that. I am not contracting regularly and the medicine should help me do this. They warn me once things get started they can go fast because many women struggle to dilate. This is not a problem for me, obviously. We will see! Who knew there was so much waiting in the birthing unit? I thought this was where the action was. Eric and I took a walk this morning to see all the new babies and joked about scaring the birthing class that was getting a tour. Now we just sit and look at each other in surreal silence. We are having a baby. Soon. Bring it on.

2 comments:

  1. YAY! Congrats! I can't wait to hear all about her and to see pictures! ~Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah!!!! I am sooo excited for you guys!!

    ReplyDelete