
Bed rest is over? I am still getting used to the idea but that doesn’t stop me from enjoying it! Yesterday Eric and I went to church (we walked this time) and then went to Boston for lunch. I don’t think I stopped smiling all day. The weather wasn’t as nice as we hoped so we walked around the Prudential Center after a delicious lunch, holding hands and talking about how wonderful it was to be together. Just like a first date, but better. We even stopped for ice cream (chocolate brownie and peanut brittle, yum). On the way home we drove by the water and I just soaked it all up. I went outside to watch Baby Roo play with her boyfriend Cobalt in our backyard and got a few things ready for my shower. Nothing extravagant but a perfect day.
So, what did I learn from my bed rest experience? To steal a line from a country song… “If you want to hear God laugh- tell him your plans”. I am a planner. This is the way God made me. Over the past 5 years, I have realized that the best and most difficult parts of life cannot be planned, as hard as I may try. I think my efforts must make God laugh, a lot. I pray for what I need or want and he gives me something so much better. So my true faults are that I don’t trust or dream big enough.
I had my pregnancy all planned out including 3 beautiful weekends away to “Babymoon” with Eric. My day planner was full, I knew when I was going to work, how much money I was going to save, how I would take care of myself and Addison… etc. That was until it became painfully obvious that I did not know what was best for my daughter and my pregnancy. God changed all of my plans and cared for Addison and me in ways I couldn’t have even imagined 10 and a half weeks ago. Does this mean I have enjoyed bed rest? Absolutely not. I am human! Hands down, it has been the hardest thing I have ever done. Am I thankful for it? Without a doubt. Bed rest was a gift, Addison’s health is a gift. I know it is was and will be worth it when we get to meet her for the first time.
From my belly: Our baby measures about 19.8 inches from head to toe and weighs up to 6 pounds. Addi’s organs are now almost fully mature, except for her lungs. She is shedding most of lanugo, but the amount of vernix caseosa is increasing. Her fat layers, which will help regulate her body temperature once she's born, are filling her out, making her rounder and her skin is also smoother than ever. Her fingernails reach the ends of her fingers, but toenails are not yet fully grown. Addi’s hair continues to get longer and thicker.
Because Addi has had steroids, twice, it is likely that her lungs are mature at this point. They usually only do one round and I’ve had two so she could come out singing. We know she is bigger than most which is why I changed the approximate weight as well. The risks are very low at this point and as the doctor said last week "Your water breaks or you go into labor, we won't stop you! You have your baby and its all good!" Since I have been on bed rest I have been quoting the March of Dimes about prematurity and potential issues. This is what they have to say about babies after 34 weeks…
What about babies born at 34 to 36 weeks gestation (late preterm)?
Late preterm infants are usually healthier than babies born earlier. More than 99 percent of these babies survive. Late preterm babies often weigh between 4½ and 6 pounds, and they may appear thinner than full-term babies. These babies remain at higher risk than full-term babies for newborn health problems, including breathing and feeding problems, difficulties regulating body temperature, and jaundice . These problems are usually mild. Most of these babies can breast- or bottle-feed, although some may need tube-feeding for a brief time.
At my appointment today, my doctor reiterated all of these things. That Addi would be fine but at 34 weeks she would automatically go to the NICU to be evaluated on breathing and feeding. The NICU is not automatic at 35 weeks. I had originally thought it was 34 (since that's when I would be getting off bed rest) but I guess I got it confused with the fact they wouldn't stop labor. I tried to get her to predict the future of when I will go into labor but had no luck. The answer was between now and 6 weeks. She told me I would be going for Non-Stress Tests as I discussed with the doctor at the hospital and we asked about getting another growth ultrasound. She told me she didn't think I needed one (I wasn't measuring big or small and my fluid was good last week) and wouldn't give me one if having a big baby would make me want to have a C-Section. I laughed and opted not to get the ultrasound for now. Since I will be going back every week from here on out, if I am measuring too big I know and can get the ultrasound.
She measured my belly, went over the information from my ultrasound and when I was in the hospital (all 3 times last week), listened to her heartbeat and asked me if I had any questions or concerns. I told her that I didn't and she said "Well, you're at the end now but maybe you should be on bed rest for one more week because your cervix is shorter". I laughed. Nice try, Dr. Wessman! Then I blurted out "I was in Boston all day yesterday!" She asked me if I had any concerns or contractions when I was up and around and I told her I didn't. She then said "Oh! Well if you were doing that and nothing happened you can be done now! Research says bed rest doesn't work anyway, we do it because we don't know what to do!" She tells it like it is and I love her for it! I scheduled my appointments and headed home, time to get ready to head back to work tomorrow.
Eric and I would like to thank everyone who has prayed for, encouraged and supported us these past 74 days, Every email, call, card and other creative ways you all have found to get us through one more day meant more than anything else. God has been good to us in sustaining this pregnancy physically as well as emotionally and spiritually. Addi is coming into the most supportive family, you are all her and our family. You are apart of our journey and the story of our family. We love you and thank God for you.
No comments:
Post a Comment