
32 Weeks! Our next big medical milestone! Eight and a half weeks after being admitted to the hospital, Addi has her best chances of surviving and thriving than ever. I updated at 28 weeks with information from the March of Dimes website about Addi’s development and challenges if born now. This is the information for the next two weeks:
Babies born at 32 to 33 Weeks Gestation: About 98 percent of babies born at this time survive. Most weigh between 3 and 5 pounds and appear thinner than full-term babies. Many need supplemental oxygen to help them breathe, although some can breathe on their own. Some can breast- or bottle-feed, but those who have breathing difficulties probably need tube-feeding. Babies born at this time are less likely than babies born earlier to develop serious disabilities caused by premature birth, though they remain at increased risk for learning and behavioral problems.
Our baby Addi measures about 18.9 inches long from head to toe and weighs almost 5 pounds (the size of a large jicama). Her lungs are maturing, and her heart rate is starting to slow down a bit. This week her movements will peak and the body growth slows down from now on, although she will still be gaining between 1/3 and ½ pounds per week! Addi has definite sleep-and-wake cycles, but she probably sleeps about 70 percent of the time. Sometime between 32 weeks and 36 weeks she will develop the ability to dream with definite periods of REM (rapid eye movement) sleep. She has periods of quiet alertness in which she listens to the exciting sounds beyond her dark room. In these last few weeks, it's all about practice, practice, practice as she hones the skills she'll need to survive and thrive on the outside, from swallowing and breathing to kicking and sucking. Addi will turn her head if touched on the cheek, open her mouth if her bottom lip is tickled and can suck and swallow in a coordinated way. Another change this week: As more and more fat accumulates under her skin, she's becoming less transparent and her skin wrinkles are disappearing. Also, Addi now has real hair, full grown toenails and fingernails!
I had another doctor's appointment today and don't have much to report. I tried to convince my doctor to take away some more of my bed rest restrictions but I still have 2 more weeks! To be honest, I have slowly increased how much I am up since I got home from the hospital. It wasn't intentional, I just got comfortable when things stayed stable and Addi was safer. I have talked to my doctors about it and they have said its fine because I have not been doing anything strenuous. My doctor agreed this week as well. Basically, I stick to the couch or bed but sit up more, walk around the house when my legs hurt, get food for myself, do my hair every once in a while and take longer showers.
At my appointment, when my doctor checked, my cervix was stable so she didn't complete the 2 week FFN test again. There would be cervical change if my body was moving towards delivery. She took my weight (a respectful 22 pounds despite being on bed rest and right on track for my goal of less than 30), measured my belly (a few weeks behind but not a concern because Addi is so big), listened to Addi's heartbeat (perfect) and went over the ultrasound I had two weeks ago. I warned her that Addi is a big girl! When she looked it over she said "4 pounds! Maybe a short cervix will end up being a good thing for you, you might want to go early!" They will do another growth ultrasound in a few weeks to see how big she is and make a plan from there because my doctor isn't convinced I can give birth to a big baby. Oh goodness. For now, I will go for an ultrasound next week to check my cervix and at 34 weeks I'll go back for another appointment and officially get released from bed rest.
I have been feeling really good lately, normal pregnancy aches and pains but not anything as bad as when I first went on bed rest. The light at the end of the bed rest tunnel gets brighter and brighter each day, I met with my new supervisor (who I hadn't met yet) on Friday and made plans for going back to work part time at 34 weeks, I get to go to church again this week and my day of freedom is coming soon! Eric and I decided to go out the day before I get off bed rest since its a weekend. We'll be going to church and then heading into Boston for lunch. Nothing crazy, I will be almost 9 months pregnant after all, but I can't wait! I am also looking forward to my baby shower! It will be so nice to be together with all of my friends and celebrate my pregnancy! Life is good.
No comments:
Post a Comment