Monday, February 1, 2010

Pregnancy Week 26


We reached our first goal... 26 weeks! This was our goal when we were first in the hospital and the Neonatologist, Dr.Tomlinson (I finally remembered her name!) let us know how crucial the next few weeks would be. To put it in perspective, since I was admitted into the hospital at 23.5 weeks, Addi's chances of survival have increased by about 3% per day and have now reached 90%! This is absolutely amazing since they let me know when I was admitted that her chances were only about 20-30%!

From this point on in my pregnancy her chances only increase by about 1% per week. I wish we could keep going with the 3%, well over 100% but we'll take whatever we can get. At 30 weeks its about 95% and 34 weeks its about 98%. This is directly related to her growth and development- about 3 pounds at week 30 and 4 pounds at week 34. From here on out, her growth is less about survival rates and more about lessening her chances of conditions or illnesses. The third trimester is the final push for Addi's body to develop, she has all her parts but God is putting the finishing touches!

From my belly: By this week, our baby's crown-to-rump length is approximately 9.2 inches. Remember, that is only from the top of his head to his bottom and does not include her leg measurements! Addi weighs almost 2 pounds and is beginning to put on weight. Our growing baby will continue to put on layers of fat until she is born. She is still lean at this point of the pregnancy though. Her skin will still be wrinkled and red, but the fat continues to fill the skin out. Finger and toe nails continue to grow, blood vessels start to develop in the lungs to prepare the baby for life outside the uterus. Our baby's blood circulation is completely functional. The umbilical cord system continues to grow and thicken as blood travels with considerable force through the body to nurture the baby. After a month of having her eyelids sealed shut, our baby begins to open her eyes again this week. Her eyes are almost completely developed and are blue in the womb but may change colors later in life.

This week I have gotten into a bed rest routine as much as that is actually possible. At the end of last week I heard from work and they gave me a few different projects to work on. I am so thankful to have goals again! I have tasks and deadlines and that means hours of distractions! Its definitely not full time but I spread out what I need to do and it gives me a few hours a day to forget I am on bed rest and use my brain. I am so thankful!

The picture I choose for today was one of my dog Baby Roo and my belly. I think Baby Roo can hear Baby Addi because ever since I have been home all she wants to do it cuddle up to my belly (notice that her ear is up)! They say humans can hear Addi's heartbeat if you put your ear to my belly so surely dogs must be able to! Right after I took this Addi started kicking Baby Roo in the head and she moved away. You'd think Baby Roo was on bed rest by the way she lays about most of the day but I very much appreciate this company. I ask her "Baby Roo, where is your baby?" and she puts her paw gently on my belly. I love that! Thank you all so much for your love and support, we love you all very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment