Monday, September 7, 2009

Pregnancy Week 5

Happy Labor Day everyone!

It is exciting to celebrate the fact that Eric and I will experience the miracle of birth this coming year! Yay labor! Above is a picture of what our baby looks like this week, I think he or she looks like Eva on Wall-E. Here is what's going on with him or her this week:

Your baby is now about the size of an apple seed. That's about 0.08 to 0.16 inches (2 to 4mm) from crown to rump. It has formed a distinct head with the first stages of eyes and ears. The spinal column and cord are formed. Buds that will grow limbs have also formed. The heart is starting to beat and at this stage its beating may even be detected by sensitive ultrasound equipment, though, it's still very early. The kidneys, liver and nerve cells have also begun to develop. Ten dental buds are growing in the jaws. Blood circulation has begun and primitive red blood cells circulate. The neural tube has closed over along your baby's spine. The optic vesicles, which resemble tiny discs of pigment set in cups along the sides of your baby's head will develop into your baby's eyes. A distinct tail is still present. The body is shaped like the letter "C".

From a poppy seed to an apple seed, I think thats some amazing progress! I can't believe there is so much going on in there! I think its been the longest week of my life (even longer than the two week wait till the pregnancy test). I worry about my baby being safe and healthy. All I can think about is having a happy and healthy pregnancy. I am absolutely hopeful and still so happy but reality has set in a little more that nothing is ever perfect. On the positive side, I am still so very excited! I wake up every morning and remember "Oh yeah! I'm pregnant!" I remind Eric and we both smile. One of my favorite things is when he touches my belly. It's very sweet and protective, he's afraid of hurting me or the baby but he gives us both lots of love.

Also-I got my first pregnancy gift! My supervisor that referred us to Boston IVF was one of the first people we told and she has been there for me through all my ups and downs at work. She got me a little Boyds bear that is pregnant and sayd "Bun in the oven", a beautiful pregnancy journal to write everything down and a few little treats to help when the morning sickness kicks in. Too sweet, I teared up I was so happy! It felt real.

I am definitely starting to feel pregnant! I had a horrible belly bloat that has somewhat gone down (no weight gain yet!) but I am still so tired. Thankfully Eric and I had a restful and relaxing weekend in Vermont! This week I have a phone consult with my doctor and I am looking forward to some reassurance from the man who thought I'd be pregnant with twins. We'll find out that next week during our first ultrasound! I also can't wait for that reassurance as well! We'll actually be able to see everything, including the heartbeat and know whether or not everything is going as planned. Very nervous, very excited. Love,

Ash & Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment