I read another blog by the same title which got the idea to write from another blog challenging us all to write where we are from. I felt so inspired I needed to write my own...
I am from creation, from dust and a rib
I am from the hills of beautiful places I have never been and languages I've never spoken
I am from here, where my family sailed into the harbor in the 1600's
I am from servant hood, religious oppression and fear, the search of freedom
I am from the land, rough hands, strong backs and hard work
I am from kind men and strong women, big families and single mothers
I am from heroes who stood firm against war and those that lost their lives in them
I am from the crops of my ancestors who owned the same land for hundreds of years
I am from the love of two people who met at a department store
I am from adoption, from knowing what family is no matter what runs through your veins
I am from a small house in the heart of a town where my family were my neighbors
I am from stuffed animals, sunshine, dress up, Crayola crayons and cartwheels
I am from the holly tree in my back yard and my grandparents' porch
I am from humid nights and firefly catching, town parades and fireworks
I am from Friday pizza night, board and card games, Phase 10 and Parcheesi
I am from picnics, holidays in pretty dresses family and Sunday morning services
I am from friends I knew since I was small, youth group and summer camps
I am from the prayers of my parents over me
I am from a small liberal arts campus on the bay
I am from the love of a boy I met in the fall of my freshman year
I am from a kiss at the bay, a bench, a ring and a promise
I am from social work, justice and advocacy for the poor and disenfranchised in my community
I am from for better or worse, sickness and in health, from a blessed broken road
I am from sick families, doctor's visits, surgeries, chemo and radiation
I am from hospice and The Old Rugged Cross
I am from the front lines of the battle against domestic violence, courts, police departments and shelters
I am from safety, clients finding their strength and hope in brokenness
I am from the brokenness of an empty womb and empty arms
I am from invitro-fertilization, bed rest and children's hospital
I am from labor and joy unspeakable with the smell of new heaven
I am from honest and raw motherhood, mistakes, patience and growing pains
I am from kissed boo-boos and belly laughs
I am from babywearing, bedtime stories, impromptu dance parties and tears of gratitude
I am from a classroom and passion I didn't know I had
I am from the love and prayers of those who came before
I am from undeserved mercy and Amazing Grace, Great is Thy Faithfulness and It is Well With My Soul
I am from date nights, hand holding and affection that makes my kids cringe
I am from fairy wings, Disney movies and princesses
I am from not knowing what I want to be but knowing who holds my future
I am from joy and sorrow
I am from pain and beauty
I am from family
I am from faith
I am from love
Oh, this is so beautiful. I love reading through some of these I Am From posts. Yours is mixed with sadness and hope and I can identify with so much of it. Just lovely.
ReplyDelete