I have never written a 38 week update! Yesterday was the day in my pregnancy that I gave birth to Addi so I have officially made it one day further! Today has been full of ups and downs, culminating in my appointment on Thursday. I was sure, beyond 100% sure that I was farther dilated and they would likely send me to the hospital. I was wrong, beyond 100% wrong! I was still measuring 3cm and my doctor measured my cervix thicker than all the others- 75%. I was blown away and barely held in the tears for her to leave the room. After this news, I barely heard another word she said and cried for the next few hours.
When I sobered up a bit, I realized that the doc had said some encouraging things. First, she also thought I wouldn't be pregnant by next week. Second, she wanted to induce me early- by next week to make sure Stella and I got the antibiotics. Lights at the end of the tunnel. I was still a mess that night. I realized just how anxious I was about Stella's birth and the possability of her being sick. It wasn't the wait or the strain on my body that was taking over- it was the same anxiety I had when Addi was sick and when I found out I was pregnant again. This is all very scary and once I put the pieces together it made much more sense. My reaction was so strong because I am terrified for my precious girl! This definitely gave me relief, so did the fact that it would be over soon and we had a plan to keep her safe.
I had questions about what the doctor had said as well! When would the induction be scheduled? What was that process? The doctor had mentioned that they typically wait until 39 weeks to induce but she wanted it done during the 38th week- more info please? I chatted with a wonderful nurse who let me know that the doctor was going to get permission for the early inductiton from a board of her peers, it would be scheduled after my next appointment and I would head in the night before for prep. I changed my next appointment to Tuesday versus Thursday- it just wasn't worth having another full week of anxiety. Tuesday seemed more managable. Maybe they'll send me in then, who knows? But if not we'll get the ball rolling to plan the induction and get Stella here safely.
With all of this anxiety, I am still so happy and excited to meet my baby girl! I can't wait to see what her precious little face looks like and do skin to skin for the first time with her. I am still praying Eric can deliver her and put her on my belly right after she is born. See you soon, baby girl!
From my belly: Our baby has really plumped up. She weighs about 6.8 pounds and she's over 19 1/2 inches long (still a watermelon, just bigger). She has a firm grasp, which I'll soon be able to test when you hold her hand for the first time! Her organs have matured and are ready for life outside the womb.
Oops! Didn't get to post this yesterday...
No comments:
Post a Comment