Monday, June 27, 2011

32 Weeks and 14 Months!


32 weeks and 14 months all in one day... whew!

I'll start with Stella since she is the easiest. Another week is up. No bed rest and another milestone! We have been lucky to have unseasonably cool weather this week (50's to 60's!) and I am not complaining. It is nice to be comfortable and unswollen. We haven't even used our air conditioning yet this summer! I definitely feel 8 months pregnant- tired and big but still relishing in being mobile. I've been uncomfortable with contractions and cramping plus some difficulty sleeping (Stella has taken residence in my ribs) but I really can't complain. If anything were to happen and Stella were born now, she would most likely not have any serious disabilities (see below). Stella is different than Addi in that she is calmer and more of a stretcher in my belly. (Addi did a lot of punching and kicking.) Stella seems to jump until she finds a comfy position and then stays put. I also haven't detected any hiccups yet. Me and my internal organs are thankful.

From my belly: By now, Stella weighs 3.75 pounds (pick up a large jicama) and is about 16.7 inches long, taking up a lot of space in my uterus. She is gaining about half a pound a week. In fact, she'll gain a third to half of her birth weight during the next 7 weeks as she fattens up for survival outside the womb.

What about babies born at 32 to 33 weeks gestation?
About 98 percent of babies born at this time survive. Most weigh between 3 and 5 pounds and appear thinner than full-term babies. Many need supplemental oxygen to help them breathe, although some can breathe on their own. Some can breast- or bottle-feed, but those who have breathing difficulties probably need tube-feeding. Babies born at this time are less likely than babies born earlier to develop serious disabilities caused by premature birth, though they remain at increased risk for learning and behavioral problems.

Now onto Addi...

How is my baby 14 months old?! I can't believe it. I feel like she is growing and learning so fast lately. Addi has begun to start learning sign language and suddenly wants "more" of everything. Too cute and funny. We are trying to foster this new skill and still encourage her to continue to be verbal. Next on the list, "Please"! Some of the milestones Add is meeting are up to 18 months! Surely keeping me on my toes.

Current 14 month milestones (mastered to advanced- all met): Eats with fingers, empties containers of contents, imitates others, toddles well, initiates games, points to one body part when asked, responds to instructions (e.g., "give me a kiss"), pushes and pulls toys while walking

Advanced: Plays with ball, uses three words regularly, walks backward, runs, "Helps" around the house, turns the pages of a book, becomes attached to a soft toy or other object, discovers the joy of climbing, stacks three blocks, learns the correct way to use common objects (e.g., the telephone), throws a ball underhand, dances to music, kicks ball forward , will "read" board books on her own, brushes teeth with help, throws a ball overhand

She has also learned that she can carry larger items (her baby stroller, leap frog toy, riding horse, rocking chair, potty, etc.) which is hilarious because she is such a skinny girl but apparently very strong! She listens to many instructions, of her choosing of course, and loves to be affectionate with everyone and everything. Constantly kissing her babies or Roo Roo. What a good sister and Mommy she will be! She walks her babies all around the house, takes them our and hugs them and then puts them back. SO adorable I can't stand it. I try to talk to her about "Baby Stella" and "The baby in Mommy's belly" but she hasn't quite picked up on it. Poor thing is in for a big surprise.

I get nervous about the normal Mommy things with Baby #2 on the way. Will I have enough time and energy to give 100% to both girls? Will Addi still feel loved? Can I do it all? At my friend's twins Christening today we chatted about welcoming our second round of kids and she reminded me that "You just do. At the end of the day everything gets done." This also reminded me that I need to relax and let things happen naturally. Before Addi, I had all the same worries and it ended up being the most natural thing in the world. Maybe no the lack of sleep, but everything else anyway. Meeting my second precious girl is forefront in my mind and I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment