Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Ugh.

After all of the good news of last week, I still had an inclining that that Strep B was still around. Even after the antibiotics I just took last week. I can't explain it and I didn't want to be a downer so I didn't say a word to anyone. I got the call confirming it this morning. My response: "Greaaaaaaaaat". The nurse let me know they are going to try to give me a full dose of antibiotics this week followed up by suppression antibiotics until the end of my pregnancy. This is both comforting and disconcerting to me.

The pros: Less bacteria in my system, hopefully preventing preterm labor and GBS is Stella

The cons: Stella and I could resistant to antibiotic treatments later (i.e. - if she is GBS positive after birth)

Eric and I decided beforehand that whatever the doctor suggested after we got the test results we would do. That doesn't make this situation less disappointing. Worst case scenario so far. Although there is a glimmer of hope when it comes to my progesterone shots. My doctor is trying to get the new (expensive, name brand) medication. They should be able to get it as long as my insurance will cover it. They are going to bat for me this week and hopefully we won't get some outrageous bill. Not a fun post today but definitely an update on what has been going on with my pregnancy. I can't help but be thankful for the great medical care I have and options for treatment!

No comments:

Post a Comment