Monday, March 14, 2011

It's a...

Today, Eric and I had a "surprise" ultrasound that ended with us finding out who this little baby is- early! My appointment was going to be on the 24th but recently I have been having some of the same symptoms I had with Addi that led me to going to the hospital and being admitted for preterm labor. The pain I was and am having wasn't confirmed to be a symptom of the preterm labor but it happened at the same time so they didn't want to take any chances. I called this morning and to see if  I could move up my appointment and they brought me in this afternoon.

The main concern was my cervix. The ultrasound showed that my cervix was normal, yay! The ultrasound tech let me know that she would also check the heart rate which was also good. My first impression of her was that she was quiet and down to business but I was wrong. I decided to ask "If we are good, will you tell us if its a boy or girl?" I guessed boy and Eric said girl. She said she would definitely look and showed us our little... GIRL!!! We are both so excited! We needed a good news and surprise after being so scared.

The second concern was that the Strep B came back, when I went to the doctor they tested me, although I don't have the results yet. I talked to the doctor about my concerns. He was the doctor that delivered Addi and said "I feel like you guys were just here!" He reassured me I would be treated with antibiotics during labor and they would keep checking me. If it showed up again this time they would give me antibiotics now. If I had a lot of the Strep B the first time in this pregnancy and this time they may consider suppressing my immune system for the rest of the pregnancy with antibiotics. This is a last resort for trying to keep the Strep B away. Although research shows there is only a small connection between preterm labor and Strep B it is enough of a risk because they just can't prove it either way!  Hopefully, we'll get the results soon.

As for today, the good out weights all of the fear for now and for the future! I couldn't wait to break out all of the girly things I saved for her- bedding, new clothes and hand-me-downs from Addi. I couldn't be happier. We made a quick trip to Babies R' Us to pick up a shirt saying "Little Sister" to share the news with our families via Skype! Everyone is thrilled about Stella Jane already. Of course, while I was there I had to pick up a few more things for the nursery of course and enjoy some girl time with Addi. I am trying to soak it all in and dream about my life with TWO beautiful daughters. Sigh. Bliss.

1 comment:

  1. Yay!! Congrats Ashley (and Eric and Addi :) )!!! I had a feeling it was a girl. How exciting! Looks like you need to have at least three kids now to ensure you have a boy...haha!

    ReplyDelete