Monday, January 28, 2013

1st Day of School


Well, the day came. The day I thought would never happen. Addi went to school for the first time today! She has been so excited anticipating this day! Last week we brought her in for the last visit and she cried when we made her leave! I felt reassured by this. I want her to love school.

Last night we made her lunch, put out her clothes and did all of our other prep work. The hubby and I kept making sad puppy dog faces at each other. Right before I fell asleep I asked him, "Are we doing the right thing?" and he said "Yes, I know that it is the right thing." I slept better than I thought I would and woke up to a very happy little girl bursting with excitement! We took pictures and videos and did all of the first day stuff. It was awesome. Daddy had a few more tears than I did.

She got to see two of her favorite babysitters as soon as she walked in which was great. In the beginning she was a bit reluctant about going to her classroom once we got to school but once she saw the other kids doing it she wanted to go! She gave me a hug and kiss and said goodbye. Then, she hugged and kissed Daddy and she was gone. 

I knew it was going to be a long day so Stella and I spent time out of the house visiting some of our favorite people and we even walked to the beach. I missed my Addi girl and kept busy. Here is where the Mommy learning began...

All day long I was getting texts, emails, calls from family, friends, other parents, babysitter spies who were working at her preschool today and we even got an email from her teacher tonight. I heard she did awesome, was smiling, that other kids were saying they had a new friend, that her favorite friend was there, that people were praying for us. I was getting constant reassurance that Addi was happy and loved. I needed this. It gave me peace.

Maybe for the first time ever, I am getting the idea that "it takes a village to raise a child". I am a do-it-yourself kinda girl and this just does not fit into the way I work. I like being in control, taking pride in loving and caring for my kids all on my own (with the hubs of course). It is part of me and it is hard to give up control. However, the truth is, I don't know how to teach a preschooler. I can't be her social playmate. I can't be and do everything. I am her Mom and that means a lot but it is not enough. Addi needs other people in her life to teach her, to love her and to be her friend. And that is okay. I'm getting that now.

Addi came home and told me all about her day. How much she loved her teacher, her new friends, the pictures she drew and that she was so excited I put a picture of the Little Mermaid into her lunch box. I asked her "Did you cry?" and she said "No, I was happy Mommy!" (which wasn't 100% true because she cried when my hubby came to pick her up!)  My heart exploded with happiness for her. She can't wait to go back. 

True happiness as a parent comes when your child is happy. We are happy.
Every time you cross my mind, I break out in exclamations of thanks to God. Each exclamation is a trigger to prayer. I find myself praying for you with a glad heart... There has never been the slightest doubt in my mind that the God who started this great work in you would keep at it and bring it to a flourishing finish on the very day Christ Jesus appears. It's not at all fanciful for me to think this way about you. My prayers and hopes have deep roots in reality....all along you have experienced with me the most generous help from God. He knows how much I love you these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment