You know you are the 3rd and 4th children when your first update is three months in! With the 1st and 2nd it was definitely the first month. Sorry kiddos! You are loved just as much, but just leave me with much less time to write. Oh well, it is totally worth it.
First off- we survived!
I might even say thrived. Not that we didn't have hard hours, days and weeks but we are settled into being a family of 6 and loving it!
Can I just say I have good babies? They are truly wonderful at doing everything they are supposed to do- eating, sleeping, pooping and playing. Besides a few small hiccups, it has all been grow and go.
Pooping- no issues at all. These girls have no trouble making it or getting it out, haha.
Now that the girls are a little bit bigger, we can really see their personalities come to life. They are so cute and funny but I am biased. Esme is my sweet quiet girl. She was baby A who was totally smushed in my belly from her sister cuddling up to her and she still doesn't mind it on the outside. She is softspoken and smiles at just about everything from getting her diaper changed to talking with her big sisters. Since she takes little time to eat, she is held less but it content to play footsies with Mommy while she waits. Very little bothers her but when she is sad there are real tears. She loves to be held and snuggled and will almost immediately fall asleep.
Waverly looks for Ezzie and still likes to fall asleep on her shoulder but has a different approach to life. Waverly is loud and funny! She loves to talk (loudly) to anyone who will listen and will wait intently for you to respond to her. She has the sweetest giggle and squeal. Like her sister, she is a happy girl but when she is upset she is angry. Her big sisters have taken to calling her the angry elf when this happens.
Both girlies love walks and their play mat. They both enjoyed their first family vacation to Cape May, where they got lots of loving from their Grandparents and started sleeping through the night! They also love their big sisters that love to help and constantly dote on them. From the early days, the bigs have helped feed, wash, snuggle and in most other ways care for their little sisters. They are awesome helpers and never pass up a time to cuddle them.
I think I allowed myself to envision worst case scenarios of chaos and disorder when I imagined our life with 4 kids and have been pleasantly surprised at how we have found out rhythm. This is our new normal and it is hard to remember what life was like before we doubled the amount of kids we have. Don't get me wrong, things are crazy. Hubby was offered a new job the day I was induced and started a few weeks after. This has meant little to no time off when we had anticipated a long summer paternity leave. We've had family and friends help out which is wonderful but still not what we had originally planned. It has been hard. Really hard some days to have big kids on a newborn schedule. Early on this meant feeding the babies on my own for 1-1.5 hours every 3 hours while trying to keep the big girls occupied. This has gotten better as I've learned how to make this work and hubby had been given two mornings a week of time with us until the end of the summer.
Four kids are a tremendous amount of work. Twins on their own are! I find myself with not enough hours in the day and am bone tired when I crawl into bed. However, I want to get up and do it all over again every day. I see my babies growing and my big babies learning and loving and laughing and I remind myself that it is okay that this summer wasn't what we had planned. We didn't plan on having twins but look how amazing they are. We didn't plan on having 4 kids but they are each absolutely incredible in their own ways. This is a priviledge and I wouldn't trade this crazy, silly, messy life for anything else in the world.

Ashley, I just recently found an old blog I had and saw our blog pop up on the side! I started reading it (it's been a LONG time since I had) and your family has grown so much!! You just had TWINS! Oh my goodness- congratulations!! Your girls are beautiful. All four of them! SO happy for you guys!
ReplyDelete~Linnea
*your blog
Delete