Tuesday, July 15, 2014

How We Feed Our Family (All-natural, Non-GMO and Organic when we can) for $100 a Week

I read an article that stated that the most recent numbers show that American families of 4 spend anywhere between $140 on the frugal side and $250 on the splurge side per week to feed their families. I told the hubs "Woo hoo! Our budget of $100 per week really is awesome!" I have felt at times that I was going overboard with our $100 per week/$400 per month but I've realized we are right where we want to be.

A very good feeling. My hubby encouraged me to write down some of our tips and tricks to keep our budget low and our family well fed. A few notes about our budget- it includes paper products, pet food (we have two big dogs) and toiletries, as well as contains very little processed food. We shop all-natural, non-GMO and I say "Organic when we can" because some products do not have an organic option or it is many times the price of the normal product. We pick and choose as we go week to week, month to month. There is a rumor going around that you can't eat delicious and healthy food on a reasonable budget but that is SO not true!

Our budget covers: 138 meals/snacks per months for the four of us. That is about .67 cents per person per meal/snack. We buy all our groceries at BJ's Wholesale and Trader Joe's grocery store.

Here are our tips:

1. Plan out your meals for the month- Get organized! This is a lot of work on the front end but serves two purposes. First, to ensure our dinners vary throughout the month and we don't eat the same things over and over. This allows me to also add in splurges (shrimp!) or cut out things that don't seem necessary (3 chicken meals in a week). Second, I am able to stock up on non and semi-perishables at the beginning of the month which brings me to...

2. Stock up at the beginning of the month- I find that, for me, this sets the tone for the month. I create a shopping list of every item needed for the month, broken down by week. I pick out all the items I can buy ahead so I will have all of the non and semi-perishables I will need for the month plus fresh items for the first week. This gives me a solid budget for the last three weeks of fresh groceries.

3. Stick to your budget- In my grocery list, I estimate how much each item is (it is scary how accurate I am now) so I have a number in mind before I even get to the store. If something is more or less, I just adjust as needed and maybe add in a splurge or two. Other than that, there is no room for wanting or needing something else. This keeps us healthier (no cookie splurges) and wealthier!

4. Buy in bulk when you can- For us, we do this with meat and paper products. All meat we buy is then frozen in single meal portions (no waste!) instead of buying fresh. We shop our local BJ's once a month (they also have milk for $2.50 and we stock up on those).

5. Don't eat a lot of meat- Our family eats meat about 2 times per week and it is one of the most expensive items. We just aren't big meat eaters in general and it certainly helps the budget. We get our protein in other forms and would rather spend our money on fruits and veggies.

6. Spend the bulk of your money on veggies- All of our girls snacks and meals include fresh fruit or veggies. This is about 10 pounds of fresh produce per week. We value this and attribute, in part, our girls stellar health, growth and development to wholesome food. We do supplement with frozen organic or all-natural fruits and veggies especially in the winter time when options are more scarce. We also buy seasonally. For us, we would rather spend the money on fruits and veggies (yes, even the $8 strawberries in January) than doctor's visits which proved true for us this winter without one illness.

7. Keep the kiddos lunches the same- My girls are in preschool 2-3 days a week and unless it is their birthday they eat the same thing every day. This may seem monotonous for an adult but for kids is it called consistency. They know what to expect, don't fight for new or other items and I know they are getting what they need. Here is their lunch box list: Organic juice, organic yogurt smoothie, all-natural apple sauce, crackers, all-natural string cheese, fresh fruit, crackers and a fruit bar. All items I can stock up on at the beginning of the month and know lunches are covered. One less thing to think about. (Hint: I also do the same for myself)

8. No one gets seconds at dinner- I am not kidding. This may seem mean but hear me out. I make exactly 4 adult servings and portions for each dinner and there are no leftovers in our house. This usually means someone gets a little more (my hubby) and the kids eat a little less. It all works out. I always make sure there is more salad, veggies or fruit if, on the rare occasion, someone happens to still be hungry but our policy is everyone leaves the dinner table satisfied- no more and no less. What we eat matters more than how much we eat. If there does happen to be some food left over, it is cycled into another meal.

9. Everyone drinks water- Although I pack organic juice and yogurt smoothies in the girls lunches at school, that is the only time they drink them. We allow milk with breakfast but the rest of the day we all drink water (or I make mine into tea- $1.99 for 48 tea bags). The girls don't even ask for anything else! Soda (they have never had it) and juice are packed full of sugar and other bad things so we cut them out all together. I would love to get Starbucks every day but I don't have any more excuses now that I know how to make (and can buy the exact tea bags for a little more- $4.00) mine at home. Not to say I don't splurge every once in a while...

10. Take it slow- It has taken almost 2 years for us to get organized. I started planning week by week, learning pricing and what worked best for us. It is way different than planning and cooking for two. It is also new that I have found a whole months' worth of meals that my family loves with no repeats! It is a process. Take it slow and you'll find what works for you! Good luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment