My answer to this question and its variants is an emphatic "No."
Here are a few of the variations of this question I have heard since finding out I was expecting my first girl and my answers- spoken or unspoken.
"Were you disappointed to find out you were having a girl? (or a second girl)
Seriously?! Um, no. Never. Not even for a second. Surprisingly, this question usually comes from Moms who have boys. I'm not asking you "didn't you want a girl?" I am glad you enjoy your sons but please do not assume that I would even feel disappointment in my daughters. Ladies, were your parents disappointed when you were born and they found out you were a girl? Is it so hard to believe that I would want, pray for, dream about and fall madly in love with my little girls?
"Oh! Two girls. Time to try for a boy!"
No, thanks. Like I would "try" for anything but a healthy baby anyhow. But still, no. As my Mom says "Why mess with perfection?" I am surprised by how many times I hear this from men considering it is their DNA that "chooses" gender. This is the gender stereotyped form of "When are you having kids?" and the even worse "Don't you want to give your husband a son?" from the well-meaning old lady at church. I am glad you are so interested in me hopping into the sack with my hubby but this is just plain awkward and unnecessary.
Here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows higher than soul can hope or mind can hide (EE Cummings)...
I am not "missing out" on anything. Not one thing. I am proud to have daughters and daughters alone. I love their pink toys, princess dresses and dancing on tip toes. I love their sweet voices, giggles and the scent of their hair. My girls and my life are amazing. More importantly, my girls are enough! They are more than enough. For me. For their Daddy. For their family. Enough. Whole, perfect and beautiful in our eyes and in the eyes of God. He made them this way. Not as some second choice or genetic roll of the dice but as a privilege. A sacred honor of giving life and so many other things to this world. Being what only women can be. They are worthy of praise. Blessings.
My beautiful daughters.
You are my sugar and spice and everything nice and then some.I carry your heart with me(I carry it in my heart) I am never without it (anywhere I go you go, my dear; and whatever is done by only me is your doing, my darling)
Love,
Mommy
Disclaimer: This article is NOT addressed to my loving Mom who has jokingly asked me this question before because she knows the answers (after only having one child, a daughter, obviously). Love you, Mom! Thank you for always telling me I am enough. xoxo
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment