Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Christmas Miracle

There are lots of kinds of Christmas miracles out there but there are a few things they all have in common. First, they occur during this time of year. Second, they are exactly what is wanted or needed. In our case, it was both! Two days ago we found out Eric is being promoted at his job and we couldn't be happier. He has wanted more responsibilities at work and opportunities to make a difference. He got it! Along with more responsibilities also comes more compensation and I think we are both even more thankful for this part of it. Eric had been working two part time jobs along with his regular job to add income so I could be home (almost) full time. This increase in pay means I can stay at home with Addi as long as we decide is right and Eric no longer has to work his other jobs. He gets to focus on one job and I get to as well. It is a Christmas miracle.'

We have been wishing, hoping and praying for this for so long and it is such a relief. Don't get me wrong... I can't say we were ever in hardship like so many other families and always felt we were blessed. We spend lots of time together and haven't gone without. This is the icing on the cake. We could have done without it and made it work but for some reason beyond our understanding, God decided to bless us yet again. I could see the relief lifted off Eric's shoulders when he walked through the door. I know providing for us weighs heavily on his heart. This Christmas will be extra sweet. Not because of gifts or anything like that. We won't be doing anything differently except not worrying!

In turn, it is only right to bless others. Every holiday season we adopt a family from our local domestic violence program and purchase their wish list. I worked at the shelter for a few years and loved doing the holidays with my families. I also got to hand out gifts to families. One time, I called a woman to set up an appointment for her to come in and get her gifts. I guess I hadn't communicated this well to her because when she came in she was shocked that I had something for her. She completely forgot that she filled out a wish list- mostly with things like food cards and necessities. She was a single woman who was taking care of her elderly mother at home. She cried, hugged me and told me she wasn't sure how they were going to make it through the week and God has answered her prayers. Another client said "I didn't know people cared about me this much!" after getting her gifts.

As an anonymous donor, I also got to see some of the gifts I gave opened by my clients. It was incredible. I will always remember it and love doing this every year. This year, sadly, our donation will be in honor of a friend of ours whose family was effected just this week by domestic violence deaths. Eric and I (and now Addi) will go shopping for our adoptees and then drop them off next week. I can't wait for Addi to participate in this Christmas giving with us and really understand what it means. It will be one of the highlights of my week- next to a date night out with the hubby on Saturday. Another holiday tradition. A show (Radio City Music Spectacular) and dinner out, just the two of us. Very very blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment