Sunday, September 19, 2010

Addi's Dedication

Praying for Addi Grace
Last weekend we celebrated Addi's dedication at our church with both of our families! On Saturday we spent the day in Boston despite my Mom being injured and had a great time. Our families haven't been together since our wedding and so much has changed. We are lucky to have each such wonderful families. For the dedication, we were blessed to have our Youth Pastor (and family friend from PA, we grew up together) Phil pray for Addi and her life. It was wonderful to go through this ceremony pledging to love and support her. Kinda like when we got married. In the same way, the church pledged to love and pray for Addi as she grows up as well as us as a family.

Our families, very good looking crew!
As I said before, the dedication was something that I have struggled with. Could I "hand over" my daughter? Like I really thought I could do it better than God, really. But I struggled to maintain control. It is the Type-A personality in me. I was control and order, knowing what is going to come next. After everything we've been through I was obviously scared. I have never loved anyone the way I love Addi and I (to my surprise) have become a Mama Bear. I still worry about her getting sick and hate when she cries. It brings me back to those difficult first days and weeks. It is difficult for me to be around anything or anyone that reminds me of those times. Even looking at pictures can be hard. Especially the ones we took the morning before we had to take her to the hospital.

Us with Addi, 1 week old after Church
Right after this picture was taken we went to lunch with friends and spent a blissful afternoon resting at home. It is one of the most difficult pictures for me. We were so happy and Addi was so little. It was perfect. Within 24 hours I thought my world was going to end. No, I am not over it and I do not have it all together. In many ways we have moved on and grown as a family but it is never too far from my thoughts and fears. I think this is exactly why we had to dedicate Addi. We had no control over Addi getting sick and we needed faith to get through that time. The truth is that we don't have control, even though we do the best we can. I think most of all, the dedication acknowledged this. We, as a family, will live out our faith no matter what. We are committed to God and one another. "Oh how He loves us."


Beautiful baby!
I am excited to tell Addi about it when she gets a little older. She was too cute during the whole thing. No tears and even smiled during the prayer! We are so blessed! After the dedication we also had a shower in the afternoon and it was absolutely wonderful. I am getting to know all of the women in the church and I just love them. So sweet and supportive. I am looking forward to getting to know them better. Couldn't be more thankful for our church family as well as our true family. "Better is one day in your courts, better is one day in your house, better is one day in your courts than thousands elsewhere."

No comments:

Post a Comment