Ugh. I always said I would NOT use my blog to complain about thing however, the next two things I am going to talk about deserve to be talked about. They effect my family and this little blog is all about our family. First, one of the best things about going through IVF is having supportive friends who have been there and understand. When talking to one of these friends about her try at having baby number two she informed me that our insurance only covers 6 tries at IVF in our LIFETIME! Allow me to remind you, most women get 12 tries PER YEAR! With a 50% success rate, I could have approximately 3 viable pregnancies. If I am lucky, baring no complications. (First transferred embryos above, one is Addi).
1 down, 5 to go. We have 2 frozen embryos (which are less successful than fresh). Before knowing this I think we would use 1 at a time. Not now. Thank God we used 2 on our first try! I love when my insurance can make decisions about my body and family. I get the good place they are coming from, there need to be limits on IVF. The number of embryos created, the number transferred(Octomom, anyone?), the age of patients (66=oldest pregnancy)... and so on but not the number of pregnancies or children. Women can end as many pregnancies as they want but not initiate them? Isn't this the same "My body, my choice" issue? A woman without fertility issues can have as many children as God and her body will allow. Just ask my Nana, she had 12! (Me and Addi below).
Now, I am not saying I want 12 pregnancies because I don't. Even Nana agrees that it's a little crazy. However, I want the right to. I don't know if I will even need all 6 to fill our family. I just want to know I can try as many times that I need. The desire to have a child is so strong, every woman deserves a way to make her dreams come true. Frustrating.
Okay, topic number two. This week in the news a famous model came out to say "There should be an international law that makes it mandatory for women to breastfeed exclusively for 6 months". Again, I say "Really"?! Now let me say, I am very supportive for breastfeeding even though I ultimately made the decision to stop. It is the very best nutrition for babies when it works for baby and Mommy, even saving lives. I made the decision to stop for Addi when she wasn't getting enough nutrition and ended up very sick with Strep B. I did my homework. The leading agency on pregnancy reports that if you supplement any formula at all in the first 4 months there is no immune benefit of breastfeeding. All formula is just as good as doing both. I did not give up and I am sure formula helped save Addi's life. She was one sick little girl but breastfeeding could not have saved her from getting Strep B. Nothing could. (Very sick Addi below).

I bring this up to say we can not let breastfeeding or the lack there of to be yet another bone of contention or place of judgement for Moms. Aren't we hard enough on each other? I knew in my gut that I needed to give Addi formula and prayed about it all the time. I was so torn, knowing what I needed to do and feeling like a bad Mom for it. I cried every time I nursed her because of it. Breastfeeding is never easy but it seems as though women who have had babies who were able to nurse easily or were never gravely ill are quick to judge. I ask these privileged women to support all women in how they feed their babies, there is no wrong way. Stopping breastfeeding came from a place of deep love for Addi, not my own selfishness. (Addi at Children's Hospital with all her monitors).

Thank you for listening to my points of view on these topics. It comes out of a place of love for my family and other Moms. Quick Addi update: She is still growing and doing extremely well. We have been getting lots of family time lately, best summer ever! Lots of love, until next time! (Us at the Brockton Rox game below).
Oh my gosh, she is ADORABLE! I love that picture of the two of you! ~Gina
ReplyDeleteOh Ashley. I'm sorry about your stupid insurance company. I couldn't agree more. That is ridiculous that people can terminate pregnancies like it is nothing but then can't have IVF when they desperately want one.
ReplyDeleteI can't even look at those pictures of Addi without crying (the ones with her hooked up to monitors) now that I have my little boy.I can't imagine what you went through seeing her like that. Reuben had his heel pricked yesterday and I could hardly deal with that - let alone seeing a baby having Strep B.
I know I've told you a billion times but I do think you are one of the strongest people I know and I so admire you and Eric (and Addi) for all you have gone through to have your beautiful little girl.