2 Months already?! Thankfully month 2 was less eventful for Addi physically and medically, she is doing wonderfully! She is growing like a weed and is getting more and more beautiful every day! We had her 2 month check-up today and she is now 11 pounds 6 ounces and 24 inches long... her weight is in the 50th percentile and her height is in the 75th. We have a tall, thin baby on our hands! I can't believe how much she is grown. Developmentally, she is ahead of the game in a lot of ways. She smiles and coos, puts weight on her legs and can hold her head up all of which most babies can't do at two months. She is a genius! Haha, but we would think that any way. This month she started playing with toys, her phone rattle in particular (see pictures). We can see her little personality coming out and it makes us love her even more! Beautiful little soul.
She is such a happy girl and loves to play! We go for walks every day, usually in her papoose! She is funny, always laughing and smiling back. It is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. She has also gotten on a great schedule of 6-7 hours between feedings at night. It is amazing! We all get to go bed together (as in at the same time), I wake up with her in the middle of the night and Eric feeds her before he goes to work. Sometimes he still takes her to work. The doctor said she has a head start towards sleeping through the night. Yay! I can't wait for that. He also said it looks like her blue eyes will be staying blue! I really hope they do. Eric and I don't have them and we would love for her to! Her eyes are so pretty!
Addi did have a big month as far as family goes. We spent a week in Vermont with Eric's family and she got to meet her Uncle Adam for the first time. And he held her, which he said he wouldn't do because he was too nervous. It was great! Unfortunately, while we were there my Grandfather passed away unexpectedly and Eric and I went to PA right away. Addi and I spent the entire week with my family and Eric stayed for a few days as well. It was sad but we got to see almost all of my family, many of who we wouldn't have seen for a long time because they live out of state. That made it special. I spoke at Poppop's funeral and in it I spoke to Addi. I think I will leave this months post with this...
I grew up hearing about my Great-Grandmother, Nana Keim. Poppop’s Mother-in-Law. We never met and on earth she never even knew I would exist. But I know her. I know she loved playing Parcheesi and eating éclairs. She was a strong woman who raised three children on her own with a deep faith and love for God. She impacted my life because she impacted the lives of my family members and for that, I love her. My daughter, Addison Grace, is Poppop’s first and only Great-Grandchild, for now anyway. There are many things that I want her to know about Poppop because he impacted my life along with all of the other members of our family. I don’t want to forget the little things because he meant the world to me. I wanted to share some of those things with her and you all today. Addison, I hope we all can help you to get to know Poppop through us. I am sorry you didn’t get to meet him in person.
Poppop was quiet. This is the first thing that comes to mind when I think about him and probably the first thing I would tell someone who didn’t know him. Poppop never said much but when he did you had better listen because it meant something. It was important. This also made him a very good listener. His words were always thoughtful, kind and gentle. Every once in a while he would tell stories about growing up on the farm and more often he would talk about what his kids or grandkids were up to. Addi, Poppop was quiet and although this is the first thing I am telling you, it is nowhere near the most important.
I grew up across the street from Nana and Poppop’s house and always said that I had more than one set of parents. If I did something wrong, I had more chances of someone finding out. Nana and Poppop’s house was where I planned to go when I wanted to run away when I was 10. After all, they did always have potato chips and ice cream. Whether or not Nana knew it. Their house is where I played games, watched old musicals, sat out on the porch and watched the birds. When our dog ran away, Poppop stayed up late into the night with me just so I would have someone to be with and give me a hug.
Poppop always greeted everyone with a “Hiya!” He didn’t have to say he was happy to see you because his smile would tell you. If you were telling him something and he said “Neat!” you can know that he really meant it. He was tall. Very tall. So tall he barely fit into the pews at church because his knees would hit the pew in front. Your Daddy and I secretly called him the Big Friendly Giant. He had sparkly eyes. He hummed when he worked around the house, loved cars, the outdoors and his garden. He loved good fruits and vegetables when they were in season and of course potato chips and ice cream.
Poppop was funny. That’s one of the reasons it was important to listen when he spoke up. He was fun too. He loved to play games, especially cards. Poppop was competitive and he like it even more when he won. Since we live in Boston I didn’t get to play as much as I would like to lately. However, I would call and bet who would win and I knew I could bet on Poppop. We had a perfect record. I think it made him play harder. I bet on him and he bet on you Addi. I called the night you were born. He bet on the day you would be born and won, April 25th of this year. For someone who didn’t believe in gambling, he sure did bet a lot.
More than once, your Grandmother and I tried to get Poppop to say which one of us were his favorites Each of us trying for his affection. He would just smile and say “All of my kids and grandkids are my favorite!” I know this was the truth because Poppop never lied. We both knew Nana was his favorite anyway. He never put his arm around us in church or held our hands in the car. Poppop loved Nana very much and their love was special. This is very important for you to know. Even though I wasn’t his favorite, I know he loved me too. He loved everyone in our family. He didn’t have to tell me in particular even though he said it back every time I said it to him. I felt it. Addi, I know he loved you too and since you were the only Great-Grandchild you can just say you were his other favorite.
Poppop spoke to God in “Thees and Thous”. I looked forward to hearing him pray at holiday meals. I know that Poppop used these words to speak with God because of the respect and love he had for Him. No one had to tell me that Poppop was a Christian or loved the Lord. Poppop himself never even told me. I saw it in all the other things I just told you- big and small. Remember, Poppop was quiet. First Thessalonians 4:11 reads- Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life. To mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as you were told. Addi, this was your Poppop and the most important thing I can tell you.
As Addi gets older, please share your stories and memories of Poppop with her. Share them with the rest of our family as well. We all knew him in a different way. Stories turn into memories. Someday, Addison and I will listen to the birds sing or tend to our flowers and that will be enough to remember.
Poppop, we love you and you are always in our hearts.
No comments:
Post a Comment