So today was the day we've all been waiting for, the follow up with Dr. Berger! We were very nervous but excited :) In a nutshell, we are going to be doing IUI (insemination) or IVF (in-vitro) very soon! Yay! What a relief to get some answers and get started on making a baby! We are waiting on another test for Eric and if everything is good we'll do IUI and if anything is abnormal we'll do IVF. IUI doesn't work as well as IVF but the insurance companies usually want you to do it first because it is less invasive (ie- less money).
IVF is our best bet and will probably be what works for us but you do what you gotta do. We found out I do have PCOS (poly-cycstic ovarian syndrome) which means I have alot of cysts on my ovaries. The Berg said he hasn't seen anything like it, most women have 20 and I have 40. This is good because I have lots of eggs (sometimes I feel like a chicken with all this egg talk) but it means we have to be very careful with the medication they give me or I can end up with a serious medical condition OR serious multiples. Yikes! If we did have serious multiples we fully intend to get a reality show that all of you can be apart of. I hear its really good money ($65,000 an episode) and good for your marriage- look how well it has worked out for Jon and Kate. I'm kidding guys!
I think the biggest thing I have learned in this process is to laugh. I have to or I'll go crazy. When I was having one of my tests done I was laying there and asked the tech if she ever saw "Baby Mama" and if this was the one that Tine Fey did and she confirmed it was! (For those of you who have seen the movie- its when she is meeting with her fertility doc and he holds up the x-ray, I have one of those!) So if you hear Eric and I throwing around "sperm", "eggs", "embryos", "uterus" and "ovaries" like its nothing- please forgive us! It's our new life and how we cope :)
Eric and I are super excited to start the process and we are so thankful for your continued prayers and support. I start the hormone medication as soon as I pick up the prescription so pray for Eric that there won't be horrible side effects! He's pretty excited to start giving me my hormone injections, I always told him he should have been a doctor.Joking aside, he's been an amazing support this last week while I've been really sick and through this whole process, I'm so thankful! God has been very good to us and we are so thankful for the opportunity to even consider these treatments.
So for now:
Prayer requests- No bad side effects from the meds, for me to feel better (I have a severe sinus infection that has taken 5 prescriptions, a shot of morphine and 3 hours in the ER to start to kick it) good results from Eric's tests, getting through the end of grad school and Father's Day without Dad or a baby <3
Praises & blessings- We have a plan, 1 week of school left, love and support from family and friends, we will most likely be pregnant by the end of the summer/early fall!! :)
Love to you all, xoxo
I love this blog! What a great way to keep people updated :)
ReplyDeleteI am glad to hear things are starting to come together. You guys are still in my thoughts and prayers!! I am slightly jealous at the fact that you guys may be Octo-Mom or Jon and Kate plus 8. Eric always did tell him he loved that show :)
Hope all is well and hope to see you guys soon.