Spring has sprung! Much above average, we hit 78 degrees today and the girls and I had a wonderful day outside. I think it was nature's way of easing us back into New England after I traveled with Eric to Florida for work. Let's be clear, I did no work on this trip. None. I sat by the bay or pool all day long, reading, hanging out in a hammock, listening to music, soaking up the sun. The one day it rained, I went to the mall and guilt shopped because I missed the girls.
The girls and my parents, not so lucky. Their week included the stomach flu, getting locked out of our house and a fall down the stairs. Somehow, when we returned they were pretty unscathed. We all went to Addi's art show at school and our church's Easter Egg Hunt. Much fun was had by all. We are so thankful to my parents for the time away and even when things didn't go as planned, we had full faith in them.
Addi had a great week with Nana and Poppy and was sad to see them go. She told me it was because they let her do whatever she wanted and I don't. Sorry, sweetie! Haha, funny girl. One of the highlights of her week with them was bringing Nana to school and having breakfast with her there. She also loved going to her art show. She was very proud of her work. Her teacher pulled me aside with a laugh and showed me her self portrait. It was in an abstract style and in true Addi fashion, it had a twist. She had been given the opportunity to pick her skin color. Any guess what she chose? Brown. This girl cracks me up. the last family collage she made, we all had brown skin. I hope this is because we have such a diverse group of friends and students that she loves people of every color. However, Addi may also believe that she has brown skin and be pretty disappointed when she finds out she is white and that isn't going to change. Oh Addi, I love that you see color in such a beautiful way.
Stella also loved having Nana and Poppy in town, often all to herself since Addi was in school a few days. She loved going to chapel, caf and the park whenever she pleased. She loved reading and playing with all attention on her. My sweet girl is so affectionate these days. It is interspersed with violence but I'll take it! Haha, my girl is learning her boundaries and when she crosses them she is quick to apologize and kiss any boo boos. Physical or otherwise. Nana and Poppy reported no such incidents and lots of kind words. My Dad told me she just kept saying "Thank you so much, Poppy!" I love her willingness to show love and affection at any time of day. I am holding on to these days so tightly but I feel the sand slip through my fingers. Life is going to change soon, when Stella starts school and it makes me hold her extra close these days.
This month, we are focusing on Addi's birthday, Easter and the end of the semester. Today in school, Addi was learning about Holy week and we talked about it after. She said to me: Mommy, Jesus died on the cross." I asked her "Then what?" and she said "Then He was in the tomb. Then He was alive again!" A few minutes later she pulled me in while I was helping Stella go to the bathroom (of all things) and whispered in my ear "He died for us." Tears. My girls are listening. Stella reiterated her sister's words at bed time. I watched them process in church on Sunday morning waving their palm branches. More tears. My girls are watching. They want to know. We are going to the Maundy Thursday service at church for the first time this year and I am so thankful for this opportunity. They want to know the stories of faith, who Jesus is and what He did. I'm ready to tell them the story.
No comments:
Post a Comment