Oh Christmas, why must you go so quickly? The only reason I am okay with this is because it had to be the best one yet. I say that every year but it is true each time. It all just keeps getting better. The week of Christmas was packed full of family fun, just how we like it.
My Mom, Addi & I kicked it all off celebrating my Mom's birthday going out for dinner and going to see the Boston Ballet's "Nutcracker". This was the first time for all of us and we all loved it. I cannot believe my 3 year old sat through an entire show! I had so much fun watching her enjoy herself. She leaned over 15 minutes through and said "Mom, look at him's hiney!" Haha, she also told me the girls were shakey (naked) and danced in her seat. I had no idea our seats were going to be amazing- 6 rows from the front and we could see the orchestra. It was a beautiful performance and I think we'll be doing it again next year.
Eric and I shared our annual Christmas date with dinner and a movie. And most importantly, free babysitters!
We continued one of our favorite traditions on Christmas Eve of going to the Boston Pop's kids matinee in the morning. Just like every other year, it was beautiful and fun. The biggest news from that time together was that we didn't have to take either girl out! Sure, they hopped seats and needed snacks but they were great and I was super proud of their ability to watch. It just keeps getting better.
We also survived the Christmas Eve service. Even if one of the girls singed her hair during "Silent Night". But I won't name names. We tucked the girls in and prepared for the big show.
We let the girls sleep in but Addi woke up sad in the morning. I talked her into coming into bed with me to cuddle. I don't remember the last time this happened. I sang her Christmas carols and held her tight. She dozed on and off and soon my pillow was wet with tears. This was my favorite part of the whole day. Singing my daughter the ancient story of our Savior. She didn't ask for Santa or gifts. There was nothing exciting about that hour but it was everything special. Stella joined us and it was hard to get them out of our bed but that was okay! We took it slow. Cinnamon buns in the oven, coffee or tea in hand we watch the girls go down stairs and for the first time "get" Christmas morning.
There was no ripping into everything at once but they definitely understood that the gifts were for them and they were excited! Santa, grandparents, parents, great-grandparents, friends, all left gifts for the girls. We are blessed with so many people who love them! The big hits were the gifts the girls got each other, their scooters and their tee-pee but no toy was left out.
I was so proud of the girls choosing gifts for each other that fit so perfectly. Stella picked a Cinderella accessories kit for Addi and Addi choose a Sofia the First tea set for Stella. The opened them first, hugged and thanked each other. Perfection! Then it was on to everything else and it was pure joy. They spent the rest of the day playing and we all watched them enjoy their things and each other. Sometimes I worry about the "stuff" aspect of Christmas and turn into Charlie Brown. I may have gotten there but then, out of no where, Addi said "Thank you, Lord, for Baby Jesus!"
What more can I ask for? They are "getting" the fun of Christmas morning but they are "getting" the real story of Christmas too. Every single moment of the week was blessed beyond what we deserve. I am speechless in awe of God's goodness to our family.
Girls,
Please know how deep our love is for you. Please also know it cannot even begin to compare to the love God has for you. I wouldn't sacrifice you for the world but He would give his own son for you. For all of us. Everything we do and every way we celebrate points to Him. The gifts? Because Jesus was given gifts and He is our gift. Santa? He worshiped Jesus too. The fun, the parties and concerts? Because Christmas, Christ's birth is "when the soul felt its worth" and so very worth celebrating. The manger scene happens in the shadow of the cross. That is the big show and this is just the beginning. I love you so.
Mommy
No comments:
Post a Comment