Wednesday, November 6, 2013

He's Not My Everything

Our newly married neighbor was out raking leaves with us last weekend and asked us what our marriage advice would be. My hubby said "Yes, dear" and we all chuckled but his question stayed with me. I think I finally have an answer...

My husband is not my everything.

Yes, I said it, NOT my everything. I hear this phrase thrown around a lot. I hear people describe their partner, relationship, marriage like this but ours just doesn't work that way.

My husband is many things- my lover, my partner, my co-parent, my boyfriend (we are still dating), my travel buddy, my confidant and my very best friend. Don't get me wrong, no one can replace him as the love of my life and there is no doubt I am head over heels for this guy.

But, my "everything" he is not.

I do not expect my husband to be everything to me and fulfill all of my needs. I know he feels the same way. I am so thankful for this because, as one person, I cannot meet all of his needs. I would if I could but it simply isn't possible

My husband will never be the shop till you drop companion my Mom is (this is where he shouts an "Amen" from next to me on the couch) and he will never be able to give me the girl time I crave from friends, even though he encourages these special relationships. He does not fulfill me professionally, although he is my biggest cheer leader. We parent together but my relationships with my daughters as their Mom is unique and individual. My husband cannot replace the relationship I have with myself, I need to love me too. We have built a spiritual foundation in our home but my relationship with God falls on me and me alone even though my husband challenges and strengthens it.

Our lives are intertwined in every way possible but my husband will never replace the relationships I have with others and that is okay. This makes my life better. This makes my marriage better.

If you expect to get everything you need from one person, you will be disappointed every time. Every. single. time. It is not a fair expectation. I guess this is why I am rarely disappointed in my husband and in my marriage.

I love you, boo. Thank you for not being my everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment