Friday, April 6, 2012

Passover

I'm a Christian, not Jewish. I am going to do my best at this and hopefully not get anything so wrong that it would offend someones religion with this post. Although I've never had a traditional Passover the way it has been celebrated since ancient times, it has become special to me. Two years ago today, we had a Passover in our family.

God kept the people of Israel children from being harmed by the plague of the firstborn. The Lord passed over their homes after seeing that they faithfully slaughtered a lamb in sacrifice and delivered his people out of slavery. Passover means "he hovered over, guarding." Isaiah 31:5: "As birds hovering, so will the Lord of hosts protect Jerusalem; He will deliver it as He protecteth it, He will rescue it as He passeth over".

It was never lost to me that around the world people were celebrating the Passover of firstborns while I was celebrating my own. Not so much together as parallel. Every Passover, I also give thanks to God who saved my firstborn before I even held her in my arms. I know that there was a real and present danger to her life and it was only through faithfulness, prayer and love that she is here with us now. We were blessed like the people of Israel were blessed

2 Kings 23:21: The king gave this order to all the people: “Celebrate the Passover to the LORD your God, as it is written in this Book of the Covenant.”

No comments:

Post a Comment